300 W. Davis
Conroe, Texas 77301
AGE - A qualified candidate must be between 18 and 35 years of age (cannot have reached 36th birthday at the time of official appointment).
CITIZENSHIP - A qualified candidate:
- Must be a citizen of the United States; and
- Must be able to read, understand, and write the English language.
CRIMINAL RECORD - A qualified candidate shall not:
- Be on probation/parole for a criminal offense;
- Have pending criminal charges of any type;
- Have been convicted for a misdemeanor offense above the grade of a Class C misdemeanor within the last 5 years in the State of Texas, or equivalent grade in another state or any Class C misdemeanor for assault or family violence;
- Have been convicted of a felony.
DRIVING RECORD - A qualified candidate must:
- Possess a valid Texas driver’s license at the time of official appointment;
- Not have had their driver’s license suspended in any state within the last 24 months prior to application;
- Not have been convicted of Driving While Intoxicated or Driving Under the Influence of Drugs in the 5 year period immediately prior to application;
- Reflect a mature responsibility toward his/her driving privilege; and
- Conform to the department’s standard for driving history.
EDUCATION - A qualified candidate must:
- Have graduated from an accredited senior high school. In lieu of a high school diploma, the applicant must have obtained a G.E.D.; and
- Possess the ability to read, learn, and understand the laws, policies, and procedures governing the firefighter position.
MORAL CHARACTER - A qualified candidate must:
- Be of good moral character; and
- His/her reputation must be of the highest order as will be determined by a complete background investigation.
VISION - A qualified candidate must possess corrected visual acuity of 20/40 with uncorrected acuity in each eye not worse than 20/200.
HEARING - A qualified candidate must possess normal hearing without the aid of listening devices.
DRUG DEPENDENCY - A qualified candidate must not be currently engaged in the illegal use of drugs and must submit to and pass an examination for drug dependency or illegal drug usage.
PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE - A qualified candidate must pass a physical ability test and a medical examination. An offer of employment to any candidate shall be withdrawn if it is determined upon the basis of medical examination that the employment of such candidate poses a direct threat to the health or safety of the candidate or others in the workplace and that the threat may not be eliminated or satisfactorily reduced through reasonable accommodation.
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS - A qualified candidate must:
- Be certified by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection as a basic firefighter; and
- Possess a minimum Basic EMT certification through the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Although not required to apply, these certifications must be obtained prior to receiving a conditional job offer.
PSYCHOLOGICAL REQUIREMENTS - A qualified candidate must submit to a psychological examination and receive recommendation for employment by the CFD's psychologist or psychiatrist.
WORK HISTORY - A qualified candidate must:
- Be able to show through his/her work history that he/she is an honest, competent, and cooperative employee;
- Be able to fully account for any periods of unemployment; and
- May not have been dismissed for “just cause” from employment by any unit of federal, state, or local government within the 5 year period immediately prior to the entrance examination.
MILITARY SERVICE - A qualified candidate must not have received a dishonorable discharge, if a former member of any branch of the United States Armed Forces. A candidate possessing a general or unspecified discharge or other form of discharge less than an honorable discharge may be disqualified from appointment upon the basis of a background investigation which reveals that the discharge was the result of misconduct.
DISQUALIFIERS - A qualified candidate must not meet the criteria of any disqualifier detailed in the LOCAL CIVIL SERVICE RULES of the Fire Fighters’ and Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission, City of Conroe, Texas. Interpretation of these disqualifiers is at the sole discretion of the Conroe Fire Department.
FALSE STATEMENT - A candidate who makes any false statement, either oral, written, or by omission, relating to the candidate’s qualifications or other required application information shall be subject to rejection at any time during the application process and shall be permanently barred from reapplication.