300 W. Davis
Conroe, Texas 77301
Under administrative direction and supervision of the Lieutenant, a person in this position performs the duties of a firefighter including, but not limited to, the suppression of fire, rescue of victims from entrapped or unsafe conditions, rendering medical aid, fire prevention assignments, public fire education assignments, maintenance of self and equipment in a constant state of readiness, maintenance of a professional image with all peers, superiors, and the public through effective communications, self-esteem, pride in the department, willing ability to learn, and application of new techniques and knowledge. Duties and responsibilities are performed in accordance with departmental and city policy, city ordinance, state and federal law, and adopted codes and standards.
The listed duties are essential job functions that the position has been created to perform. The list of duties is not exhaustive. The employee may be called upon to perform any task that is implied from the listed duties or is within the scope of the job summary:
- Suppresses fires including trash, grass, wildland, building, vehicle, and chemical fires.
- Performs medical duties at the EMT level.
- Performs rescue operations involving removing people from hazardous situations such as vehicles, confined space, trenches, and high elevation/angle.
- Responds to and works in environments involving hazardous chemicals, radiation, biologics, incendiary, and explosive substances.
- Responds to public assistance calls.
- Cleans and checks equipment on truck including air packs, tools, equipment, oil, engine fuel levels, pumps, and radio.
- Cleans station, which includes sweeping, mopping, and performing general maintenance such as painting or mowing grass.
- Drives emergency vehicles.
- Participates in pre-fire planning, fire inspections, fire prevention activities, and building surveys.
- Studies written materials, audio-visual materials, and other materials concerning fire tactics and related information in order to maintain knowledge of equipment, procedures, and applicable laws. May involve classroom training and live evolutions.
- Participates in training to maintain knowledge of street and hydrant locations.
- Fills out and files reports.
- Works collaboratively with other city departments as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned to include, but not limited to, fulfilling the responsibilities of the Engine Operator in his/her absence, as directed and/or required.
- Performs any function, not specifically listed, required by state or federal law, and/or city ordinance.