300 W. Davis
Conroe, Texas 77301
INITIAL APPLICATION - Complete a Letter of Intent to take the written entrance examination and submit it to the Conroe Human Resources Department by the date stated on the job announcement.
WRITTEN ENTRANCE EXAMINATION - Candidate will be required to present a valid form of U.S. Government and/or state issued identification and sign a copy of the “Release of Liability” form at exam day registration. Candidates with prior military service will be required to bring the original and one copy of their DD-214.
The written examination schedule of events will be as follows:
- Candidate registration;
- Introduction, welcome, and explanation of testing;
- Examination instructions;
- Written examination;
- Scoring of examinations;
- Hiring process information and instructions;
- Assignment of physical ability test date and time; and
- Question and answer
The written examination covers material that any high school graduate ought to be familiar with. There are no study materials available and no specific firefighting knowledge is required.
PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST - Candidate must successfully complete the physical ability test, typically conducted within 2 weeks after the written entrance examination.
The following tasks will be performed:
- Task 1: Don self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) for 5 minutes.
- Task 2: Ascend and descend an aerial ladder 100 feet set at a 70 degree angle within 5 minutes.
- Task 3: 7 minute time limit:
- Run 1/2 mile;
- Don SCBA, excluding face piece. Remaining steps will be performed while wearing SCBA:
- Carry a 50 foot section of 2 1/2 inch hose for 180 feet;
- Drag a 90 pound dummy 100 feet;
- Drive a Kaiser Sled 5 feet with a sledge hammer;
- Advance a charged 2 1/2 inch hose line and nozzle 50 feet;
- Using a rope and pully system, hoist one section of 2 1/2 inch hose from ground level up 70 feet. Timer will stop upon completion of this step; and
- Lower the hose, which was raised in Step 7, back to ground level. This must be done in a controlled manner and without dropping the hose.
*Task 1 and 2 may be assigned in any order. Task 3 will be the final component of the overall test.
COMPLETION OF PHS AND CCH - Candidates will complete and submit the CFD Personal History Statement (PHS), required documents, and apply for his/her computerized criminal history (CCH) by the date specified.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION - An exhaustive background investigation will be performed by the CFD to verify information provided in the PHS and to determine candidate suitability for employment as a Conroe probationary firefighter.
The background investigation will consist of the following steps:
- Preliminary review of PHS and required documents by the Hiring Process Coordinator and initial determination of candidate eligibility for employment;
- Assignment of candidate to a background investigator;
- Candidate interview with assigned background investigator to review information submitted in the PHS;
- Polygraph examination to verify information provided in the PHS;
- Discrepancy interview* (*if made necessary by inconsistencies between PHS and polygraph exam report);
- Background investigator verification of information contained in the PHS. Verification steps include, but are not limited to, contacting former employers, landlords, family members, neighbors, and references; and
- Background investigator recommendation.
ORAL INTERVIEW - Candidate will undergo an oral interview conducted by a board made up of members of all levels of the CFD to determine suitability for employment as a Conroe probationary firefighter.
FIRE CHIEF/ASSISTANT FIRE CHIEF INTERVIEW* - (*If necessary) Candidate will be interviewed by the Fire Chief and/or Assistant Fire Chief to determine suitability for employment as a Conroe probationary firefighter.
CONDITIONAL JOB OFFER - Candidate will be made a conditional job offer of employment dependent on passing of the psychological and medical examinations and drug/alcohol screen.
PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAMINATION - Candidate will submit to a psychological examination to determine suitability for employment as a Conroe probationary firefighter.
MEDICAL EXAMINATION/DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREEN - Candidate will submit to a medical examination and alcohol and drug testing to determine suitability for employment as a Conroe probationary firefighter.
Candidates must successfully complete each step in order to move on to the next step. Certain steps may be taken out of order at the discretion of the CFD. Candidates who successfully complete and pass all phases of the process will be hired based on the current eligibility list. Applicants not meeting employment requirements will receive a formal letter detailing deficiencies.